HerStory Archive

HAYES, Ann Jane

Also known as: née Doolan, Jane

Born: 25/06/1893

Additional Information:

Written on the back of the drawing:  Lived on Undoolya station for many years of her married life.  Upon retirement of her husband, the property of Undoolya went to Mr and Mrs Ted Hayes, son and daughter-in-law.  Was widowed in 1959.  Mrs Nicker one of early pioneers was her mother.


Resources

  • Image - Queen of Cattle Country

    Queen of Cattle Country Mrs Hayes Senior came to the Territory as ten year old Jane Doolan in 1905. She married Ted Hayes in Alice Springs and they lived at Mt. Burrell, then Maryvale and then Undoolya. Jane helped many people in town and supported many worthy causes including the Catholic Church and the Memorial Club. She opened a public fund to build a memorial fund to George Wilkinson who was a much loved local shopkeeper. He stood people credit when they needed it and was noted for his integrity. Everybody trusted him implicitly. Jane Hayes also donated generously to the Traeger Park Grandstand building.

    ct for NPWHF


  • Image - Queen of Cattle Country

    Queen of Cattle Country Mrs Hayes Senior came to the Territory as ten year old Jane Doolan in 1905. She married Ted Hayes in Alice Springs and they lived at Mt. Burrell, then Maryvale and then Undoolya. Jane helped many people in town and supported many worthy causes including the Catholic Church and the Memorial Club. She opened a public fund to build a memorial fund to George Wilkinson who was a much loved local shopkeeper. He stood people credit when they needed it and was noted for his integrity. Everybody trusted him implicitly. Jane Hayes also donated generously to the Traeger Park Grandstand building.

    ct for NPWHF


  • References

    Petrick, Jose.  (2010, November).  The History of Alice Springs through Landmarks & Street Names.  St Marys, South Australia:  Openbook Howden Design and Print.  p. 91.
    HAYES STREET
    William and Mary Hayes – Contractors and pastoralists

    William and Mary’s children were … Edward (Ted snr, Ted Hayes Memorial Stand, Traeger Park).

    Edward snr married Jane Doolan (Jane Rd).  …


  • References

    Petrick, Jose.  (2010, November).  The History of Alice Springs through Landmarks & Street Names.  St Marys, South Australia:  Openbook Howden Design and Print.  p. 116.
    JANE ROAD
    Jane, Mrs Edward Hayes snr – Pioneer lady.
    Ten-year-old Jane Doolan arrived at the Arltunga Goldfield in December 1905 with her step-father and mother, Sam and Lizzie Nicker (Nicker Cr).
    They had travelled over 4000 km of harsh country from Blackall, central Qld, down the Strzelecki Track to SA and then up to the OTL track to CA.  Sam took shearing and other jobs along the way to help finances and to rest the horses, as the same two horses pulled their buggy all the way, through Sam’s skilled horsemanship.
    When they reached Arltunga, the gold rush was over, so Sam started a vegetable and fruit garden on the Hale River and delivered the produce to the miners.  The area became known as The Garden.  (The name was retained when the block became a cattle station.)
    Lizzie’s son Claude, was born during the journey in Quorn in 1904 and Eugene and Ben were born in the Arltunga area.
    As more people left the goldfield, Jane and her family moved to Alice Springs.
    Sam obtained a hawker’s license and another buggy to take stores to Newcastle Waters to sell to the drovers crossing the continent with large mobs of cattle.  Jane, then only 14, helped drive the hawker’s buggy, about 900 km each way.
    The family returned to Alice Springs where Lizzie’s daughter Margaret (Mrs Rex Hall), was born in 1910.  Then they went to Mt. Burrell, where Sam shore sheep for William and Mary Hayes (Hayes St).  The Hayes’ son, Edward (Ted snr, Ted Hayes Memorial Stand) and Jane were married in Alice Springs and lived at Mt. Burrell, then Maryvale and in 1922, Undoolya.
    Jane helped many people in town and also worthy causes including the Catholic Church and the Memorial Club.  She opened a public fund to build a memorial to George Wilkinson (Wilkinson St) and unveiled the monument on completion.  She also donated generously to the Traeger Park grandstand building which the committee named the ‘Ted Hayes Memorial Stand’ and invited Jane to unveil.
    Jane retired to live in Bath St in 1945 and died in 1970.  Ted predeceased her in 1960.  They were survived by their children, Lizzie (Mrs A. Milnes), Ted jnr (dec’d), Strat (dec’d), Mary (Mrs Harry Bloomfield (dec’d), and Jane (Mrs Clive Graham).


  • References

    The NPWHF "CWA caicatures by Butch Peverill & George Scott Brown" states her husband's name was Ted Hayes (Snr), and that his job was "Pastoralist, Undoolya Station."