KELL, Elizabeth Mary
Died: 22/1/1827Special Achievements:
Pioneer of old Sydney Town and the Illawarra district. Elizabeth arrived in Sydney Cove in 1819 aboard the "Minerva" with her husband George and three children (one born on board). George had been appointed as Chief Overseer of Lieutenant John Oxley's (Surveyor General of the colony) property "Kirkham" at Camden.
Elizabeth and George had five children and she supported him in all his endeavours and enterprises.
On 22nd June 1824, George received a grant of 500 acres at Springhill, Wollongong on which he built an hotel. The journey to the Illawarra must have been extremely difficult for Elizabeth with five small children, one still a babe-in-arms. They chose the site of their home on the crest of a hill, overlooking the Tom Thumb lagoon. They built their house and named the property "Springhill".
George became the first recognised publican in the Illawarra. He carried on cedar getting and cattle breeding, principally raising bullocks for hauling timber.
Later, he took an hotel at Campbelltown where Elizabeth gave birth to another child in July 1825.
Elizabeth died at "Springhill" in 1827 at the young age of 37, leaving behind her husband and five small children between the ages of 2-11.